Adventure Writer’s Room
If you need help with creating adventures and brainstorming ideas - join our Adventure Writer’s Room.
We meet in the discord voice chat, and challenge ourselves to improvise a one-shot adventure in 2 hours. We do this by filling in the brainstorming template together, one step at a time. Our goal is to brainstorm fun ideas and improvise stories together in a chill, lighthearted, no-pressure environment. It works, it really helps with writing, and it is super fun. We’re looking for some friendly and creative people to join us!
Here’s how it works:
- We meet in the discord voice chat for 2 hours, and we play a collaborative storytelling game.
- We “win” this game if by the end of the session we have created a short and simple one-shot adventure together. Doesn’t have to be the most brilliant story in the world, it can be silly, we’re just trying to make something coherent, something that makes sense. Or, at least, doesn’t make sense in a fun and entertaining way.
- If we end up just joking around and coming up with a bunch of fun adventure ideas, locations, NPCs, and scenes - I’d also call that a victory!
- We play this game by trying to fill in a brainstorming template together. We create a google doc we can all edit, and fill it with the ideas we’re brainstorming.
- We go through the process of creating an adventure step by step, one part of adventure at a time - idea, antagonist, setting, challenges, etc, and brainstorm 5 ideas for each one. We do each part for 10 minutes - that way we’ll avoid perfectionism and overthinking, we won’t try to make the best ideas possible, we’ll make up whatever we can and roll with it.
- Then we pick our favorite ideas, and try to combine them together into a story that makes sense. Or doesn’t make sense in a funny way.
- After the session we have a draft/outline of an adventure we can run for our players, or playtest between ourselves.
To give you a better idea of how this works, watch Brandon Sanderson doing something similar for his fantasy writing class.
The group is small, and very new, but I’m happy to say - it seems to be working extremely well! Yesterday we’ve ran our first two experimental sessions, and just in a few hours we have made 3 adventures, and this has helped me to get out of the writer’s block I’ve been stuck in for weeks. Other people have found it very useful as well. And we had a great time, it was super fun!
If you want to improvise some stories, or need some help with the writing - come join our discord server!
Novice GMs are welcome! I’m a novice GM, and I’ve made the group because I thought that making adventures together would be helpful, and make the process easier and more fun. There are no prerequisites, no expectations about being a brilliant writer or improviser. If you’re friendly and are interested in stretching your creative muscles - you’re welcome!
Experienced GMs are also welcome, we have quite a few very experienced folks who are really good at what they do, and it helps a lot.
If you’re a player with no GMing experience and this sounds like fun - come join us as well!